The Our Lady of Remedies Chapel is a beautiful modernist building, located at the corner of Don Ramon and Don Doroteo streets, in the Don Enrique Heights Subdivision, Barangay Holy Spirit. After the residential subdivision was opened in the 1970s, the neighbors wanted their own place of worship, due to the large population of people attending mass at the far off Oblates of Mary Immaculate Retreat House of the School of the Holy Spirit (SHSQC), inside the BF Homes Subdivision. Cramming themselves at the small San Jose: Ang Tagapagtanggol Chapel (1978), in the nearby Doña Juana Heights Subdivision was not helpful either.
After conducting masses in garages and basketball courts, the residents were able to build their own small chapel in 1981. The chapel was dedicated to Our Lady of Remedies, after a resident’s devotion to Nuestra Señora De Los Remedios. The Filipino’s devotion to this incarnation of the Blessed Virgin Mary started with the installation of an icon at the Malate Church, in 1624. However, veneration of the Lady of Remedies started in the medieval period, when the Trinitarian Order (Order of the Most Holy Trinity and of the Captives) of Saint John Matha (1160–1213) were praying to the Blessed Virgin for aid in their efforts to rescue Catholic slaves from the Muslim raiders. They attributed the numerous financial aid they received to purchase the freedom of the slaves and the safety of the monks to the intercession of the Virgin, and they thus gave her the title of Virgin of Los Remedios.
As the decades passed by, the population of the neighborhood grew. New churches and chapels in the area began to develop to address the spiritual needs of the people. In BF Homes, the Parish of the Holy Spirit was completed in 1981. In Mapayapa Village I, the Jesus, Lord of Divine Mercy Parish was established, in 1993. In the Don Antonio Heights Subdivision, the Saint Benedict Parish opened as the Our Lady of Fatima Chapel in 1996. The San Jose Ang Tagapagtanggol became a parish in 1997. And the Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Chapel was constructed in 2005, in Isadora Hills.
With many developments, the residents of Don Enrique heights pooled their resources to construct a new chapel. The homeowners association hired Arch. Alberto L. Nepomuceno of GSN+p architecture studio, to design the chapel; and the interiors were designed by Trisha Anne M. Padernal. The chapel was completed in 2002, in modernist is style that is blended with a few neoclassical details.
In 2006, the Our Lady of Fatima Chapel was elevated to a parish, and subsequently changed its name to the St. Benedict Parish, and was included into the newly formed Diocese of Novaliches. With such changes, the chapel became a sub-parish of the Parish of St. Benedict.
The simplicity of the design of the Our Lady of Remedies Chapel is well balanced with the verdant gardens around the area, making this place an ideal location for weddings and other family celebrations. The chapel is managed by the Missionaries of God’s Love (MGL) and residents alike, which is a powerful symbol of the community spirit that the neighborhood built around it.